BES’ Alyson Foskey was awarded 3rd place overall in the Richmond District PTA Citizenship Essay Contest. The topic of the essay was, “I can positively influence my peers by…” Her family was invited to a reception held last week Atlee High School, where she received a very nice certificate!
We understand Alyson’s teachers are encouraging her to share her exemplary essay at the 5th grade graduation ceremony!
Well done, Allyson!
The Goochland Rotary Club donates a tremendous amount of time and resources to our school division. Members contribute instructional materials and work directly with our students as mentors and tutors, volunteering personal time and energy to help us achieve our mission of maximizing the potential of every learner.
I encourage you to come hear the VCU Singers & Chamber Musicians tomorrow evening at 7PM, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Richmond. The proceeds will benefit our students directly and you’re sure to enjoy a wonderful night of beautiful music.
In recognition of the innovation and success of its Values Based Leadership (VBL) initiative, Goochland County Public Schools (GCPS) has been named a District of Distinction by District Administration. Goochland County was among 62 districts across the nation that were honored in the March 2015 round of Districts of Distinction, the magazine’s national recognition program for K12 school districts.
“We are pleased to honor Goochland County as a District of Distinction,” says JD Solomon, editorial director at District Administration magazine. “Like all our honorees, Goochland County Public Schools serves as a model for school leaders across the country.”
GCPS began its journey into values based leadership in 2012 in partnership with Luck Companies.
“A big congratulations from all of us here at Luck Companies for yet another round of recognition of your commitment, hard work and leadership,” remarked Mark Fernandes, Luck Companies Chief Leadership Officer. “We look forward to our continued work together in support of your mission to ensure all students are provided to opportunity to realize their full potential.”
“The next step in that process for us is to develop the leadership potential in our students, through the development of a leadership curriculum that includes the identification of each student’s own values,” Hendron adds. “We are indebted to the Luck Companies of Goochland, Virginia, for sharing their decade-long experience with values-based leadership.”
GCPS introduced the VBL model to its leadership team and launched a six-year strategic planning initiative that is still underway. Currently, the district is designing a leadership curriculum for students. The district’s ECCHO awards recognize the “excellence, creativity, courage, honor and optimism” in staff and students working to better their schools.
Goochland County Public Schools will host a Job Recruitment Fair at Randolph Elementary School Saturday, April 18th from 9AM to 1PM. On-sight interviews will be conducted for candidates interested in positions in the following areas:
- Food Service
- Maintenance/Custodial Services
- Bus Drivers
- Substitute Teaching
This event is open to the public and we are especially interested in meeting those who live in Goochland that would be interested in employment with the school division.
Please click here to pre-register and secure your interview today!
For more information, contact Lisa Hobbs at (804) 556-5630.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. When can children begin kindergarten? State guidelines dictate that a child who is five years old on or before September 30 of the upcoming school year should enroll in kindergarten.
2. How do I register my child for kindergarten? Thursday, April 16, 2015 (8:00-4:00) is the established day for 2015-16 kindergarten registration across our region of the Commonwealth. Families should plan to register at the elementary school whose attendance zone corresponds to their home address. (Please contact the division transportation department at 556-5361 with individual questions regarding elementary school attendance zones.) Even if families do not have all of the required documents, they should plan to register on April 16 in order to begin the enrollment process.
3. What do I need to register my child for kindergarten? TWO of the following documents are required: Proof of residency documents such as: • tax returns • voter registration card • recent payroll stub with physical address • automobile registration • utility bill (other than cell phone)/deposit receipt
Families will also need to bring the following documents that are required before a child may begin school in the fall: • a certified birth certificate for the child, or, for non-U.S. citizens, other substantiating documentation such as a passport or an I – 94 form • the child’s social security card • a copy of a comprehensive physical examination by a qualified, licensed physician within 12 months prior to the date the child begins school • evidence of immunizations as required by Virginia law.
4. My child will be five by September 30, 2015, but is not yet ready for kindergarten. Do I have to enroll my child this school year? No. Your child’s enrollment may be delayed for one year; however, you should notify the Superintendent in writing of your plans to delay kindergarten registration for one year.
5. My child just misses the deadline for enrollment in kindergarten by a few days. Is there a waiver of the age requirement? No. Goochland County Public Schools does not offer a waiver of the age requirement.
6. Will my child attend a half-day or full-day kindergarten program? Goochland County Public Schools operates a full-day kindergarten program.
7. I am separated from my spouse and I don’t want him/her to visit or pick up my child. Will you make sure that doesn’t happen? Anyone other than the natural parent of a child must provide legal guardianship papers when enrolling a child in school. If your spouse is the natural parent of your child and you do not have legal papers showing court ordered arrangements, we must, by law, allow the parent to see the child. It is the responsibility of the parent(s) to provide the school with appropriate legal documents.
8. When is the first day of kindergarten and when will we learn who our kindergarten teacher is? The first day of the 2015-16 school year is Monday, August 24. You will receive a letter in the mail in August from your child’s school stating your child’s teacher assignment.
9. How will I know where and when to wait for the school bus? You will receive your child’s transportation information from the transportation department. This letter will contain your child’s bus driver’s name, bus number, telephone number, bus stop times and location. A responsible adult should be there with your child at least 5 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive in the morning and the afternoon. An adult should be at the bus stop until your child reaches fourth grade.
10. Is there an orientation specifically for families of incoming kindergarten students? Yes. Each of our three elementary schools will host a Kindergarten Orientation for families. This event is an opportunity to hear from school administration about day-to-day school operations and kindergarten programming. It’s also an opportunity for kindergarteners to meet their teachers and visit their classrooms. Kindergarten Orientation is typically held on the Thursday before the first day of the new school year.
11. Where may I obtain more information? http://www.doe.virginia.gov/students_parents/student_enrollment.shtml