Month: December 2019
At its meeting earlier this week on Tuesday December 10, the Goochland County School Board approved the instructional calendars for the next three academic years. Highlights of each of the three calendars include:
- First day of school two weeks prior to Labor Day
- Periodic breaks throughout the year for teacher professional days aligned with interim reports and the end of the nine weeks grading period
- One designated fall parent conference day
- No school on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving
- Full two weeks of winter break
- Spring break during the first full week of April to align with neighboring school divisions
- Early dismissal on the last day before winter break and the last day of school
- 180 instructional days for students
- Designated make up days if needed
These approved calendars can be viewed in greater detail here:
Last night, the Goochland County Board of Supervisors approved our division’s request for a conditional use permit to build a 650 student replacement Goochland Elementary School at the corner of Bulldog Way and Steeplechase Parkway. This was a significant step forward in a lengthy process that will ultimately result in the projected opening of our new school in August 2024. Thank you to our community members who participated in this public process. I am also grateful to the Supervisors and the Planning Commission for their support of this application.
The next step on this journey is to secure the architect and engineering firm who will lead our community through the process of designing our new elementary school. At the same time, we will be advertising for the services of a demographer or other third party consultant to lead us through the transparent process of adjusting our attendance boundaries that will be effective when the new GES opens in 2024. It is our goal to advertise for both of these services in August 2020 and to have the firms selected by the School Board’s November 2020 meeting.
I will certainly keep everyone informed every step of the way. Stay tuned for updates and opportunities to participate in the process in the future.