At their monthly meeting on Tuesday, May 1, the Goochland County Board of Supervisors swore in Mr. John L. Lumpkins, Jr. as the Supervisor for District 3. With Mr. Lumpkins’ departure from his position as Chair of the Goochland County School Board to assume his Supervisor position, the School Board met on Wednesday, May 2 to conduct the business of School Board re-organization and planning to fill the vacancy for District 3 representative to the School Board.
Mr. John D. Wright, District 5 representative, was unanimously approved by the Board to serve as Chair, a position he assumes immediately. With his approval as Chair, Mrs. Beth Hardy, District 4 representative, was selected as the Vice Chair. Mr. Michael Payne, District 1 representative, will now serve as the alternate to Mr. Wright on the Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School Board.
The School Board approved the following calendar for the appointment of the District 3 representative, who will serve in the position until a special election in November of 2018:
- The Tuesday, May 8 School Board meeting has been moved to Tuesday, May 15, beginning with open meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the County Administration Building Board Room located at 1800 Sandy Hook Road, Room 250, Goochland, VA 23063.
- On Tuesday, May 15, School Board members will review applications for the interim board member during closed session. All applications must be submitted by 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Monday, May 14 to Diane Bennett, School Board Clerk, in order to be considered. Only individuals submitting completed applications will be considered. Applications are available online at this link.
- Applicants will be given the opportunity to address the Board during public comment at the Tuesday, May 15 School Board Meeting. The Board will not be responding to candidates who address the Board regarding their interest in this interim position during this public comment session.
- A special School Board meeting will be held on Thursday, May 30 to deliberate about interested applicants and appoint the District 3 Board representative.
- The successful applicant will be appointed on May 30 by the School Board and will be sworn in before the first meeting with the Board on June 12.
Any questions about the process can be directed to Ms. Diane Bennett, Clerk of the School Board of Goochland County at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-556-5630.