A new calendar year provides us with the opportunity to reflect on the previous year and the chance to prepare for new beginnings, growth, and change. We have had a very successful start to our school year and are excited about the possibilities that exist for us in the spring of the year! Our students are learning, growing, and shining in many ways!
Goochland County Public Schools is a proud and successful school division that has proven itself as a recognized leader in public education by providing students with innovative, engaging, and authentic learning experiences that will allow them to experience a true depth of understanding of our instructional content. As we reflect on our past successes, we think about what our school division will need in order to maintain this success, while also identifying opportunities for us to continually grow and improve. This process will guide us through the upcoming weeks as we work to develop a budget for the next school year that is aligned with our vision, mission, and core values.
Our budget development process began this past fall as we sought input from our principals and other division leaders regarding their identified programmatic, personnel, and other resource needs. In addition, we asked our leadership team to critically analyze our current processes to determine whether or not there were opportunities to abandon past practices in an effort to re-allocate funding to newly identified needs. We also sought input from our community regarding their perspective on our future budget needs, which has provided us with valuable feedback. The results of that survey can be found here.
Over the course of the past two weeks, our School Board has conducted work sessions aimed at identifying the many different personnel, programmatic, and resource needs of our school division. Information related to these work sessions can be found at these sites (January 10, 2017 & January 17, 2017). As we make financial decisions in the coming weeks, it will be important that we provide a total compensation package for our employees that is competitive in our region so that we can retain the incredibly talented professionals we have and attract exceptional candidates when vacancies occur. Additional needs that have been identified include the technology and personnel resources that will enable us to maximize each student’s academic potential as we prepare our students for the challenges of learning and working in the modern global economy.
As we work to develop a spending plan that will enable us to make progress toward accomplishing our strategic goals, it is important to us that we are recognized as a leader in fiscal efficiency, transparency, and effectiveness. I hope that you are able to join us tomorrow (January 24) at 6:30 p.m. as I present my proposed budget for next year to the School Board. If you are not able to attend, you can join us via live streaming video. Please also join us at the many other upcoming public meetings on our budget.
- January 31 – Budget Workshop – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 7 p.m.
- February 7- Public Hearing on School Board Budget – Goochland High School Auditorium – 6:30 p.m.
- February 14 – School Board Budget Approval – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 6:30 p.m.
- February 21 – Presentation of School Board Budget to Board of Supervisors – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 3:00 p.m.
- March 21 – District 2 & 3 Town Hall Meeting – Central High School – 2748 Dogtown Road – 7 p.m.
- March 23 – District 4 & 5 Town Hall Meeting – Hermitage Country Club – 7 p.m.
- March 30 – District 1 Town Hall – New Fire Station on Hadensville Fife Road – 7 p.m.
- April 4 – Board of Supervisors Public Hearing – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 7 p.m.
- April 18 – Board of Supervisors Adoption of County Budget – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250, 3 p.m.
Thank you for the time, effort, and energy that you dedicate to supporting our students in their academic journey!
Jeremy J. Raley, Ed.D.